A degree in digital marketing will prepare you to establish the digital brand identity and increase company sales when you adopt learn how to use technologies that have changed marketing forever. With a digital marketing degree, you will learn targeted strategies, PPC advertising, and how to write strong marketing copy so that you can reach the customers your company needs to sell its products and services.
What Is Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing involves all of the various marketing efforts that use the Internet and/or an electronic device. Businesses in the modern world need to be adept at leveraging digital channels, including social media, search engines, and websites to connect more effectively with current and potential customers. Digital marketing is defined by the number of various digital tactics and channels used to connect with customers online. From the company website to the branding assets of the company online – including digital ads, email marketing, online brochures and social media promotions – all of these tactics involve digital marketing.
As the US economy continues its expansion and growth, there is more need for marketing services of all kinds to tell customers and prospects and about new and expanding businesses. It is expected that as unemployment continues to be below 4% and economic growth is in the 4% range, there will be higher demand for the services of many marketing professionals, including those who work digitally.
The most common profession for someone with a digital marketing degree is a digital marketing manager. They are responsible for developing and completing various digital marketing projects to meet the organization’s goals. Most digital marketing managers are focused on increasing brand loyalty and sales by doing campaigns and events to boost satisfaction and awareness of the company brand.
Professionals who want to work in digital marketing also often work as advertising, promotions and marketing managers, who plan programs online to increase interest in products and services:
- Advertising managers: Create interest online among possible buyers of a product or service. They can do this for an entire organization, department or on a project by project basis.
- Promotions managers: Direct programs that are a mix of advertising and incentives for purchasing to boost sales.
- Marketing managers: Performs estimates of product and service demand that an organization offers. They offer possible markets for the products and services of the organization.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that job demand for advertising, promotions and marketing managers will rise by 10% through 2026, which is faster than average. BLS states there are 31,300 advertising and marketing managers in the country as of 2016. There also are 218,000 marketing jobs in the country as of 2016.
BLS reports the median annual wage for advertising and promotions managers was $106,100 in 2017, and the top 10% earned more than $200,000. The median wage for marketing managers was $132,200 and the top 10% earned more than $200,000. Payscale.com reports the median salary for digital marketing managers is $64,100 with a range between $41,000 and $97,000.
Online Degree Programs
If you want to earn your digital marketing degree while still working, you may consider earning an online degree. There are many online digital marketing degrees available today that will allow you to continue to work at least part time.
Southern New Hampshire University
Southern New Hampshire University offers a Bachelor of Science in Marketing with a concentration in Digital Marketing. You will develop the tools to master the online mobile environment, and specialize in social media marketing campaigns. Students who graduate with this four year, online degree will be able to employ various digital marketing strategies and analytics so your company has better brand awareness. Also, you will learn how to develop effective digital marketing plans that build your company’s brand.
Some of the courses you may take in this digital marketing program are:
- Social Media and Marketing Communications
- Marketing Research
- Consumer Behavior
- Strategic Brand Management
- Mobile Marketing
- Principles of Integrated Marketing Communications
- Digital Advertising
- Digital Analytics
Students in this undergraduate degree program also will learn important skills that will help you to be a leader in digital marketing: writing, verbal communication, analysis and problem solving.
Earning your bachelor’s degree in digital marketing is a good first step to establishing an exciting and rewarding career. California College of San Diego offers an online Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a New Media Marketing concentration. This program is accredited and will help you to get into an entry level or mid level digital marketing position in many different industries in California and beyond. This three to four year bachelor’s degree will give you an excellent foundation in major business functions, such as sales, finance, accounting and marketing.
Students will be prepared to properly apply social media technologies to meet business goals. You will discover the latest trends in emerging technologies, how to use communication technologies with external and internal stakeholders, and leveraging technology for marketing and sales.
Students in this program will learn the following skills that they can apply in their digital marketing career:
- Social media for business
- Retail marketing
- Technology in marketing
- Sales management
- Influence and persuasion in business
- HR management
For students who want to take their digital marketing career to the next level of success, it is recommended to earn a master’s degree. Southern New Hampshire University offers a Master of Science in Digital Marketing that can be earned online in only two years. This master of science degree will give you the skills and strategies that will help you to grow businesses today. You will dive into such topics as social media, online advertising, search engine optimization, mobile and web design and email and marketing automation.
Some of the most important learning outcomes in this digital marketing program are:
- Analyzing and interpreting quantitative and qualitative data to align your marketing plans to the strategic goals of the organization
- Creating new integrated strategies to increase opportunities through using marketing theories and practices
- Distilling information through various types of digital media to persuade and negotiate with shareholders
- Developing international marketing strategies that deal with political, commercial, legal and cultural issues in a global economy
The admission requirements for a master’s program in digital marketing may include:
- 5 or higher GPA
- Three references
- Writing samples
- Some schools may require GMAT or GRE scores
The master of science degree at SNHU has the following course requirements:
- Multinational Market Strategies
- Marketing Strategies
- Integrated Marketing Communications
- Marketing Analytics
- Consumer Behavior and Marketing
- Strategic Internet Marketing
- Ethical and Legal Issues in Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
- Online Marketing Channels
- Digital Storytelling and Branding
If you want to earn a digital marketing degree, you may want to consider applying for these grants and scholarships:
- HSF/Verizon Foundation Scholarship: $2500
- IFEC Scholarship Award: $500
- MillerCoors National Scholarship: $3000
- Direct Marketing Educational Foundation: $3000
- Marketing EDGE Scholarships: $1000
- Judy Corman Memorial Scholarship and Internship: $2500
- Ellie Byers Memorial Scholarship: $2500
- David Hoods Memorial Scholarship: $2000
Professionals who want to accelerate their careers in digital marketing may consider belonging to these associations:
- American Marketing Association
- Internet Marketing Association
- Data and Marketing Association
- Sport Marketing Association
- Construction Marketing Association
Consider earning a digital marketing degree today to equip you with the skills you need to be successful in the growing digital marketing field.
- Bachelor of Science in Marketing. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.snhu.edu/online-degrees/bachelors/bs-in-marketing/digital-marketing
- Advertising, Promotions and Marketing Managers. (2017). Retrieved from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/advertising-promotions-and-marketing-managers.htm#tab-5
- What Is Digital Marketing? (n.d.). Retrieved from https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/what-is-digital-marketing