With regular global security threats to the United States and other countries, there is higher demand today for security and intelligence specialists in the US and around the world. Students may choose to earn a bachelor’s or master’s degree in global security. You will study the most current global security problems, such as terrorism, bioterrorism, natural disasters, and nuclear security. Common courses are in terrorism, security management, and international politics.
As the global security issue has become more pronounced and serious in the last 20 years, more jobs are becoming available in the global security field. For example, in the field of cybersecurity, it is estimated that the global crime and cybercrime epidemic will triple the number of open positions in the next 36 months. A recent report from Cybersecurity Ventures reported there will be 3.5 million unfilled cybersecurity jobs by 2021, which is up from one million openings last year.
Demand for global security and cybersecurity professionals will be especially pronounced in India due to the rise in number of cyber attacks.
One of the most frequent jobs available for professionals with a global security degree is information security analyst. BLS reports the demand in this field will grow by 28% from 2016 to 2026, which is much faster than average. Demand for these analysts is expected to rise because cyber attacks have grown in frequency and global security analysts are expected to be needed more to come up with better solutions to prevent hackers from stealing vital information.
Other jobs that you may obtain with a global security degree are:
- Linguist and foreign language expert
- National security analyst
- Cybersecurity specialist
- Logistics specialist
- Business analyst
Information security analysts can earn an average salary of $95,000 per year, with the top 10% earning more than $153,000 per year. According to Payscale.com, the average salary for a director of global security is $77,200. Zip Recruiter reports the average salary of international security officers is $52,200.
Students interested in earning a master’s degree in this subject may receive an online Master of Arts in Global Security from Arizona State University. This two year, online program provides an excellent overview of the major ideas on causes and costs of global conflict, the structure and operation of domestic and international institutions, and policies to encourage stability and peace in the world.
The online master’s program builds upon the faculty of over 100 at ASU. It is one of the most significant and most innovative public research institutions in the US. It has multiple fields including political science, history, law, public policy, and engineering. The program also integrates case studies, lectures, and materials from groups of retired military, ex-government officials, scholars, and journalists, who are known thought leaders in the field of global security.
The goal of the degree program is to connect varying perspectives on global security with policy-oriented discussions and debates. The program centers on offering students an excellent foundation in themes, fundamental theories, and concepts, while also encouraging solving problems through multidisciplinary and critical approaches. The Master of Arts provides a link from cutting edge research and scholarship to teaching materials from the university’s team of experts and practitioners who have devised and implemented policies around the globe.
For instance, units that were in on the conflict in the Middle East that are available for teaching and consultation are former National Security Council staff and military advisers who devised the surge. The website states the entire program is online and takes 7.5 weeks per class with a total of 10 classes and 30 credit hours.
Required classes for graduation are:
- Security Studies
- Future of War
- Understanding Conflict and War
- Law of War
- US Politics of Security
- Global Politics of Security
- Comparative Studies of Conflict
- Emerging Technologies and Global Security
- Governance in Post Conflict and Transitional Contexts
- Terrorism and Insurgency
Earning a bachelor’s degree in global security introduces basic concepts of international security and will prepare students to analyze data, think proactively and become more culturally aware. Global security courses instruct students how to implement and create plans to boost security around the world.
Students enhance their knowledge of key concepts of global security before advancing to more higher level topics. Common subjects for bachelor’s programs are world geography, international politics, human psychology, terrorism history, Global economics, and homeland security.
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University offers a Bachelor of Science in Global Security and Intelligence Studies. This four-year degree program provides students with a rich learning environment that assists students to devise critical thinking analytic, research and problem-solving skills that are complemented with the breadth of a strong liberal arts foundation.
George Washington University offers a Master of Science in International Security that will prepare professionals to address emerging security challenges of the 21st century. It will deepen your conceptual knowledge of the field and will teach you in depth about a broad range of modern security issues, as well as how to master analytic and policy skills for a productive career in the field. The international security program provides an excellent background in theories of global and international relations and strategic thought, as well as excellent power competition to terrorism and WMD.
To be considered for admission for a master’s program in global security, you should have the following materials available for submission:
- Statement of purpose
- Letters of recommendation
- GMAT or GRE scores may be needed
- Personal interview
- College transcripts
The typical curriculum for a global security master’s degree may include these courses:
- Introduction to Security Studies
- Grand Strategy and National Security
- Globalization and International Security
- Intelligence and National Security
- Terrorism and National Security
- Rogue Nations and National Security
- Homeland Security Options
- Energy Security Studies
- Transnational Issues and National Security
The global security field is growing, so there is more financial support available for students earning their global security degrees. Some available scholarships are:
- AFCEA War Veterans Scholarships
- Al Ponte Graduate Scholarship Award
- ASIS Foundation Scholarships
- CIA Graduate Scholarship Program
- CTU Homeland Security Grant
- Cybercorps Scholarship for Service
- David L. Boren Undergraduate Scholarships
- DHS Scholarship Program
- Janet Dilling and Robert McDaniel Scholarship
- Jim and Anna Hyonjoo Lint Scholarship
Some associations to consider in this field for further exploration are:
- International Association of Professional Security Consultants
- International Organization for Security and Intelligence
- International Security Management Association
- Global Security Risk Management Alliance
There are certifications that may be of interest to those with a global security degree. For example, there are three levels of Homeland Security Certification called CHS I, II and III. Also, there are advanced certifications called CHS Advanced Levels IV and V. These certifications can be useful in careers in emergency management, communications, transportation, firefighting, public safety, and security.
- Cybersecurity Labor Crunch to Hit 35 Million Unfulfilled Jobs by 2021. (2018). Retrieved from https://www.csoonline.com/article/3200024/security/cybersecurity-labor-crunch-to-hit-35-million-unfilled-jobs-by-2021.html
- Information Security Analysts. (2017). Retrieved from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/information-security-analysts.htm#tab-5
- Top National Security Jobs. (2016). Retrieved from https://www.securitydegreehub.com/top-national-security-jobs/
- International Security Officer Salary. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salaries/International-Security-Officer-Salary
- Director of Global Security Salary. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Director_Of_Global_Security/Salary
- List of Homeland Security Certifications. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://careertrend.com/list-7465753-list-homeland-security-certifications.html