Liberty University is a highly regarded liberal arts university with 16 colleges and schools that offers both bachelor’s and master’s degrees in business and related fields, both online and on campus. The university currently has 15,000 on campus students and more than 94,000 online students in its undergraduate and graduate programs.
Affordable online tuition for undergraduate and graduate programs
Liberty University Online features very affordable tuition for both bachelor’s and master’s degree students.
For undergraduates, the cost per credit hour is just $390; for part time students it is $455. For graduate students, including MBA, the full time per credit hour rate is $565, and the part time rate is $615.
Liberty University also is notable because its in state and out of state tuition prices are the same. Some universities charge much higher tuition rates to out of state residents.
SuperScholar.com ranks online MBA as #25 program
SuperScholar.com recently ranked Liberty University among its top 25 MBA programs. This ranking body reviewed the school’s awards, accreditation, cost, admissions selectivity, and reputation.
SuperScholar.com also stated that Liberty’s online MBA program was one of the most cost-effective in the country. The website also noted that the program offers many unusual MBA specializations, including leadership, public administration, healthcare management, criminal justice, American legal studies and project management.
Positive reviews from online Liberty University alumni
Liberty University regularly conducts alumni surveys to look at their attitudes and employment status after graduation for both bachelor’s and master’s degree holders. The most recent surveys from online program alumni were very positive:
- 88% were employed within 180 days of graduation
- 72% got their first job after graduation in a related field
- 74% current work in a job in their field of study
- 97% confirm that their overall Liberty experience was favorable
- 96% would recommend attending Liberty University
- 96% agree that their experiences with their professors were beneficial
- 88% were satisfied that the tuition paid was a good investment
No GMAT scores required for online MBA applicants
Unlike many MBA programs, Liberty University does not require applicants to submit GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test) scores to be considered for admission. The GMAT exam tests your abilities in analytical writing, integrated reasoning, quantitative analysis and verbal skills. It traditionally has been used as a significant part of the admission requirements for many business schools.
Today, there is evidence that performing well on the GMAT does not necessarily translate to being a good business school student.
Liberty University has joined a growing body of MBA programs that no longer require GMAT scores during the admission process. Instead, Liberty focuses on your undergraduate GPA, work experience, letters of recommendation and writing samples to judge if you are a qualified applicant for their program.
Least Favorite Features
Online MBA is not accredited by the AACSB
AACSB International is one of the most respected accreditation bodies for business programs at the undergraduate and graduate level in the world. Fewer than 5% of business programs in the world are accredited by the AACSB.
Accreditation is important because it lets you and prospective employers know that your business program has passed a rigorous quality assurance process. At this time, the MBA and other business degree programs at Liberty University are not accredited by the AACSB.
Some educational experts maintain that accreditation by a highly respected accreditation body such as the AACSB is of greater importance than college rankings in major publications, such as US News and World Report. The methodologies used in those different publications are very different, and thus the ranking may not be as meaningful as some think.
While the business school is not currently AACSB accredited, Liberty University is generally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. This is one of six accreditation agencies that are recognized by the Department of Education. Regional accreditation tells you that the university has met overall accreditation standards as established by the Department of Education.
Asynchronous online learning format only
Online degree programs are offered in synchronous (live) or asynchronous (recorded) formats. Some programs offer both options. Liberty University offers only asynchronous or recorded programs.
Asynchronous classes are good if you need to attend your classes on your own schedule, and are okay with learning completely on your own. However, some students prefer live classes online with their professors and classmates. A live learning experience is more stimulating for some students and more conducive to learning.
The type of format you prefer depends upon your learning style and schedule. Students who have a busy personal schedule may find that the asynchronous format is best for them. Others may find that learning in an isolated manner is more difficult for them.
- Founded in 1971
- Application deadline: Rolling
- Application fee: $60
- School type: Private
- Term Schedule: Semester
- Location: Lynchburg, Virginia
- Student-faculty ratio: 18:1
- 28% acceptance rate
- 267 online programs – graduate and undergraduate
- Undergraduate online: $390
- Graduate online: $565 full time; $615 part time
- Undergraduate: accounting, business administration – concentrations include economics, finance, financial planning, HR, international business, leadership, marketing analytics, automotive dealership management, sustainable management, healthcare management.
- Graduate: MBA, executive leadership, healthcare administration, accounting, health informatics.
- Doctorate: business administration, accounting, leadership, project management, international business.
Concentrations – MBA
- American Legal Studies
- Human Resources
- Healthcare management
- International Business
- Project Management
- Public Administration
- Public Relations
- 4412 enrolled in MBA program
- 4745 enrolled in online graduate business programs
- 42,135 enrolled in online bachelor’s programs
- Total enrollment online and on campus: 80,494
- 31% accepted into MBA program, making it very selective
- 22% admitted overall – graduate and undergraduate
- Average undergraduate GPA: 3.2
- 58% female, 42% male
Graduation and Retention Rates
- 52% 4 year graduation rate
- 69% of freshmen return for their sophomore year, below national average of 70.9%.
- 9% do not graduate within six years.
US News Rankings
- Best online MBA programs: 127
- Faculty credentials and training (MBA): 164
- Student services and technology (MBA): 43
- Student engagement (MBA): 61
- Best online graduate business programs (not MBA): 92
- Admissions selectivity (MBA): 54
- Overall high school counselor ranking: 287
- Best online bachelor’s programs: 148
- SuperScholar.com online MBA ranking #25 in world