Northeastern University is a global research university founded in 1898. It is built upon a tradition of engaging with the global community, and creating a unique approach to research and education. Today, you can earn online undergraduate and graduate degrees in a variety of business-related disciplines.
Tuition for in state and out of state students is identical
Many universities charge much higher tuitions to students who live outside the state. In the case of Northeastern University, students both in Massachusetts and outside are changed the same per credit hour.
In the case of the online MBA program, the cost is $1,513 per credit hour. For most undergraduate degree programs, the cost is $1,460 per credit hour.
Online MBA is ranked #4 by Financial Times in 2016
The online MBA program is very highly regarded, and recently was named the #4 online MBA program by Financial Times.
The school’s online MBA program also earns accolades from past graduates: 81% in a recent survey reported that they had very good or outstanding experiences in the program. Further, 70% of online MBA respondents reported that they had received a salary increase after they finished their MBA. More than 50% received a 10% or more increase.
GMAT Test Scores Can Be Waived for Highly Experienced Students
The Graduate Management Admission Test or GMAT is a standardized, computer adaptive test that gauges your analytical, quantitative and verbal skills. It has traditionally been required to be considered for admission by most graduate business schools.
However, in recent years, the GMAT exam has fallen into disfavor at some universities. Some experts believe that a high GMAT score is not particularly indicative of your likelihood to succeed in graduate school.
Northeastern University will waive the GMAT requirement for experienced business professionals in some cases. It also will allow you to waive the GMAT requirement if you attend the part-time MBA program, and successfully complete the six foundational courses successfully.
D’Amore-McKim School of Business is AACSB accredited
When you are considering a business degree program at either the bachelor’s or master’s level, it is vital to know that the business program is of high quality. An excellent indicator of educational quality is that the business school is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).
The AACSB accreditation process is extremely rigorous, and a team of AACSB business school evaluators reviews every aspect of the university’s business programs, including:
- Student learning
- Faculty quality
- Academic research quality
- Institutional development
- Global awareness
Many top global companies will not even consider you for a business-related position if your online business degree is from a program that is not accredited by the AACSB. This accreditation is well known across the world as the most recognized form of professional business accreditation that a business school may earn.
At Northeastern, the D’Amore-McKim School of Business maintains its accreditation by AACSB International. This signifies that the school has met the highest standards of excellence in business management education.
Northeastern University also is generally accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges. This is one of the six
regional accreditation bodies recognized by the Department of Education.
Least Favorite Features
Tuition is relatively high
The baseline tuition for undergraduate and graduate programs at Northeastern University is quite high. For example, tuition and fees at the undergraduate level totals as much as $45,500 per year. For the MBA program, the total tuition is similarly expensive, when you consider that the cost per credit hour for the MBA is $1,513.
Students will need to weigh what they think their salaries will be when they graduate from their business degree program. Also, it should be noted that many students do qualify for tuition discounts and financial assistance that can drop your bottom line somewhat.
International students have an added $250 one-time fee
Any international student who begins an undergraduate or graduate school program at Northeastern University must pay an initial $250 fee when they begin their education. Students from the United States are not required to pay this fee.
- Founded in 1898
- Application deadline: Rolling
- Application fee: $75
- School type: Private
- Term Schedule: Semester
- Location: Boston, Massachusetts
- Student-faculty ratio: 14:1
- 28% acceptance rate – highly selective
- Undergraduate: 1,460 per credit hour
- Graduate: $1,513 per credit hour
- Master’s: Business administration, finance, corporate and organizational communication, innovation, leadership, project management, taxation.
- Bachelor’s: Management, finance and accounting management.
Concentrations – MBA
- General management
- Healthcare management
- Supply chain management
- High technology management
- Innovation entrepreneurship
- Undergraduate enrollment: 13,697
- Online graduate business enrollment: 195
- Online MBA enrollment: 869
- 50% male, 50% female
- 75% receive financial aid
- 70% of freshmen were in the top 10% of their high school class
Graduation and Retention Rates
- 82% graduate within four years or less
- 96% of freshmen return for their next year, one of the best in the country.
- 69% of African American students graduated within four years in 2011.
US News Rankings
- National universities: 39
- High school counselor rankings: 36
- Most innovative schools: 7
- International business: 10
- Best online MBA program: 42
- Best online graduate business programs: 37
- Ranked #8 online MBA over three year average by Financial Times
- Ranked #8 in career progress for online MBAs by Financial Times
- Ranked #4 for number of international MBA students by Financial Times