The University of Scranton is a private college that was founded in 1888 in Scranton, Pennsylvania. Its total undergraduate enrollment is 3,910, and it was ranked as the #6 best college in the northern regional area, according to US News and World Report. Today it features a strong online degree presence with many distance master’s programs in business, including a master’s degree in accounting.
Kania School of Management is accredited by the AACSB
The business school at the University of Scranton is among the only 5% of educational entities across the world that offer business and accounting degrees, and are accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business or AACSB.
Get facts about AACSB vs ACBSP for Online MBA Accreditation
AACSB is the most rigorous accreditation agency for business schools around the world. Educational institutions that earn this important accreditation have shown that they are committed to high quality and constant improvement in their business related programs.
Accreditation by the AACSB assures students and employers that the business school:
- Effective manages limited resources to achieve a high level of of quality in business programs
- Advance elite management and business knowledge through the best faculty participating in scholarly activities
- Provide the best quality of teaching and the best business curricula
- Creates excellent interaction between the business students and the faculty
Specifically, the General Management MBA, Online Master of Accountancy and the six specialty MBAs each are accredited by the AACSB.
Online MBA program is top 15 for general management
The online MBA program has been ranked in the top 15 for general management according to Entrepreneur magazine, as well as the Princeton Review.
The Princeton Review has included the Scranton MBA in its rankings because of outstanding academics. The Princeton publication only lists approximately 15% of the four year universities in the United States.
Further, the Princeton Review has ranked Scranton’s business school as among the best in the US. This ranking is based upon a survey of 19,000 business school students.
Online programs feature a guaranteed, three year tuition rate
In a time of rapidly rising tuition costs, it is important for students to be able to make firm economic and financial plans throughout their graduate program. It is for that reason that the University of Scranton online offers a guaranteed tuition rate for all online graduate programs for three calendar years.
To qualify for the graduate tuition guarantee in the second year of your program, you must maintain and complete at least nine graduate credit hours for the first 12 months. Successfully completing nine credit hours at the graduate level means that you earned a grade from A to C, S, or IP (in progress for thesis activities).
This tuition guarantee at the graduate level is unusual and notable. Many business schools and universities have tuition that continues to increase throughout a student’s tenure in the program.
International students are eligible for alternative education loans
Some universities do not allow international students to qualify for loans to attend graduate school. The University of Scranton does allow international students to apply for private educational alternative loans.
The student must have good enough credit to qualify, and he or she must apply in conjunction with an American citizen or permanent resident who has lived in the US for the last 24 months.
Least Favorite Features
Only ranked #91 according to US News and World Report
The University of Scranton online MBA only is ranked the 91st best online MBA program. It also is a quite easy program to get into. For example, US News and World Report states that 172 students applied for the MBA program online most recently, and 144 were admitted. It also states that the acceptance rate for the program is 84%.
See more about Online MBA Acceptance Rates – Lowest vs Highest
US News also notes that its admission selectivity score is only 45 out of a possible 100. Graduate programs that are more selective generally are regarded as better quality.
Online graduate programs score low on student services and technology
US News and World Report states that the financial, technical and vocational support for online learners is lower than average. The school’s score is 45 out of 100.
Distance learners are not on campus, obviously, and there is a tendency for some programs to not provide the same level of support and services to online students. Online students usually are paying just as much as campus based students. Thus they should demand the exact same level of support in terms of financing their education, getting career advice, and accessing technical support.
Peer assessment score is only 2.3 out of 5
US News and World Report also assigns a ranking from 1-5 assessing its level of academic excellence according to its peers in the field. University of Scranton only scores 2.3 out of 5. This suggests that for whatever reasons, the school is not held in high regard by other business schools.
- Founded in 1888
- Application deadline: March 1; rolling for online MBA and graduate
- Application fee: No fee
- School type: Private
- Term Schedule: Semester
- Location: Scranton, Pennsylvania
- Student-faculty ratio: 10:1
- MBA – $965 per credit hour for instate and out of state residents
- Accounting: $895 per credit hour for instate and out of state residents
- Master of Health Administration (MHA degree): $940 per credit hour for instate and out of state residents
- Graduate: Online Master of Business Administration; Master of Health Administration, Master of Accountancy; Master of Human Resources; Master of Health Informatics
- Undergraduate: No online programs available
Concentrations – MBA
- Accounting MBA
- General Management MBA
- Health Care Administration MBA
- Human Resources Management MBA
- International Business MBA
- Production/Operations Management MBA
- MBA Degree Salary by Concentration
- 72% of undergraduates accepted
- 58% female, 42% male
Graduation and Retention Rates
- 4 year graduation rate: 73%
- 89% average freshman retention rate, which is well above the national average
- 82% graduate in six years, which is above average
- 6% of students do not graduate within six years
US News Rankings
- Best online MBA program: 91
- Regional universities north: 6
- Best colleges for veterans: 2
- Best value schools: 22