The University of Texas-Tyler is a public college that is based near Dallas, Texas. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 39,619. According to US News and World Report, it is #56 on that publication’s Best Colleges list. It currently has more than 80 bachelor’s and master’s programs. The university’s online MBA that is a good, affordable choice for experienced business professionals.
Very low cost per credit hour
The cost per credit hour of the online MBA offered at the University of Texas-Tyler is extremely affordable at only $837. This means that the entire online MBA program would cost only in the range of $30,000, which is one of the most affordable graduate educations you can receive anywhere.
Students who participate in the university’s partner organizations may receive up to a $5000 discount based upon completion of the requirements for the discount. Also, students in the MBA in Healthcare Management may receive $5000 off the standard tuition. Be sure to inquire with the admissions office during the application process.
Online MBA at University of Texas-Tyler is AACSB accredited
Almost all legitimate universities in the US are at least regionally accredited by one of the six regional accreditation agencies recognized by the US Department of Education.
But there are many fewer universities who go the extra mile and ensure that their specific colleges and programs have been accredited as well by a respected body in the field.
The University of Texas-Tyler which houses the online MBA program in the University of Texas system is accredited regionally by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
This online MBA has been accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business or AACSB. The AACSB is the most highly regarded business and accounting program accreditation agency on the planet.
The stamp of approval on the University of Texas-Tyler MBA program tells you that the program has met the toughest standards of quality. In fact, the process to become AACSB accredited takes more than 24 months.
With its AACSB accreditation, you know that your business degree is of very high quality. You also can have confidence that your future employers will have respect for the degree.
Online MBA is 100% online
One of the advantages of the University of Texas-Tyler MBA program is that it does not have any campus visits required. Many MBA programs require you to visit the campus at the beginning, end and sometimes in the midst of the MBA program.
While these visits and residencies may be very valuable in some ways, they can be difficult for busy professionals to accommodate. With a 100% online program, you can earn your MBA on your time, and continue to work full time and see to your personal obligations.
Can be completed in as few as 12 months
This online MBA program can be completed in as little as a year. Note that this is only a possibility if you are working as little as possible, and are able to dedicate most of your time to your studies.
A more typical completion time for this program is 18-24 months. How long you will take will depend upon your work and personal obligations. You can take up to five years to complete the program.
Least Favorite Features
GMAT or GRE scores are required
Students are still required to submit GRE or GMAT scores to be considered for admission to this online MBA program. Some universities are moving away from the standardized test score requirement as this has not been shown to conclusively predict one’s success in graduate school.
Not interested in taking the GMAT? See 25 Online MBA Programs GMAT Waiver
The typical GMAT score for those admitted is 400, and the typical GRE scores are 146 verbal, 140 quantitative, and 4 in the analytical portion.
Online MBA program and business programs have low US News rank
The online MBA program is only ranked #111 according to US News and World Report. The other business programs are ranked just 372 by the same publication. However, the tuition at University of Texas-Tyler is very affordable, and the school’s rank must be viewed with that in mind.
- Founded in 1971
- Application deadline: Dec. 1; rolling for online MBA
- Application fee: $75
- School type: Public
- Term Schedule: Semester
- Location: Dallas, Texas
- Student-faculty ratio: 18:1
- MBA – $837 per credit hour for instate and out of state residents
- Graduate: Online Master of Business Administration (offered online through the University of Texas – Tyler campus); MBA in Healthcare Management; MBA in Marketing; MBA in Cyber Security
Concentrations – MBA
- 52% female, 48% male
- Total enrollment for undergraduates is 6,318
- 64% acceptance rate overall
Graduation and Retention Rates
- Average graduation rate in six years of less is 43%
- 61% of freshmen return for their sophomore year, well below the national average of 70.9%
- 55% of students do not graduate within six years
US News Rankings
- National universities: 56
- Business programs: 372
- Regional universities west: 88
- Top public schools: 32
- Best online MBA programs: 111
- Best colleges for veterans: 32
- Most innovative schools: 14
- Production and operation management: 10
Related MBA Reviews
- Western Governors University WGU MBA Review
- Washington State University Online MBA Review
- University of Utah Eccles School of Business MBA Review
- Pennsylvania Wharton School of Business Review
- NYU Stern School of Business MBA Review
- Pepperdine University MBA Review
- UCLA Anderson School of Management Review