Greg Moody, Lee Professor of Information Systems, University of Nevada Las Vegas, joins us today to discuss their analytics degree programs.
1. Can you tell us about the business analytics program offered at the University of Nevada Las Vegas? *
We offer several ways to learn analytics at our university.
The first option is a joint degree offered by the management information systems (business technology) and economics. The program’s statistical background is calculus-based and instructed by economics. It is heavily focused on econometric modeling, forecasting, time-series panels, and all basic elements of statistics.
The second option is the analytics focus within our management information systems program. We offer several courses that allow our students to specialize in more generalized and business-focused analytics. It is meant to be versatile and does not require any mathematical background to enter.
The third option is the MS Data Analytics program, which will start in about 2022. It is a collaboration between computer science, management information systems, and mathematics departments. It spans most of the colleges at the university and is meant to provide a robust platform for analytics within any field. The field specialization is then completed through the elective route at your hosting college (Health, Business, Math, Engineering, Liberal Arts). This is a more intensive program than option 2 and will advance one’s knowledge quite well into a career in analytics in a variety of fields.
Option 4, is the undergraduate program, offered as a BSBA Information Management. Across the required major courses, students will learn analytics as the main career trajectory of this program. All other options are in-person graduate programs.
2. Is the GMAT & GRE required for acceptance into the program? Do international students have the same requirement? *
Yes, for all of the listed programs, GRE is a requirement, GMAT is also accepted for the business-school focused programs.
3. How long does a typical online business analytics program take at the University of Nevada Las Vegas? What is the maximum and minimum time of completion? *
Two years is our normal program length, but it is four years for an undergrad unless you transfer in with the credentials to meet the general electives.
4. What do you think makes the University of Nevada Las Vegas analytics program stand out from other programs offered by similar schools in your region*
We are the most prominent university in our region. Further, our programs are based off of multiple disciplines, enabling our university to provide the best techniques from different fields to give you the edge when it comes to your career.
5. How important would you say accreditation is when choosing a business analytics program? *
Entirely so. It gives you an expectation that the program has a certain level of rigor and quality that will not be guaranteed at a school/college/university that is not accredited.
AACSB is by far the highest level of accreditation that one can find in a business-focused degree.
6. What are the advantages of earning a business analytics degree in general and where are you seeing employer demand with this degree? *
This is one of the most in-demand jobs that we get from our employers and from our students. They are quite versatile, and most careers require individuals to deal with data, and the problem-solving skills taught for this degree are valuable for any career.
7. Does the University of Nevada Las Vegas offer job placement for students who graduate with a business analytics degree? *
Yes, we have a job placement organization within our business school.
8. What type of financial aid packages are available for students in business analytics? Are there any fellowships, grants, and scholarships available? *
The business school offers scholarships, and we also offer graduate assistantships to the most competitive (academically) students to encourage them to attend our university.
9. Do you have any advice for students enrolling in a business analytics program at the University of Nevada Las Vegas? *
Be ready now to start a good career.
10. What do you enjoy most about your position at the University of Nevada Las Vegas? *
The ability to work with students and change their lives for the better.
For more information on the business analytics programs offered at the University of Nevada Las Vegas, visit them online.
Thank you for sharing and participating in this piece.
That concludes our interview!