The following article discusses the career path of Data Scientist. Learn about how to become one, education requirements, job duties, traits and qualities, national salary outlook as well as top national employers of Data Scientists.
Featured Online Programs
- Data Analytics (Masters) – Southern New Hampshire University
- Business Analytics (Bachelors & Masters) – Arizona State University
- Information Systems & Business Analytics (Masters) – University of Maryland at College Park
- Analytics (Masters) – Villanova University
Data scientists work in the field of information technology (IT), where they mine complex data in order to provide the organization with important information. They focus on new IT topics and determine which ones to implement and how to further the organization. They work in partnership with all other members of the IT department in order to create need-based models and manage statistical data. Thanks to their advanced communication and analytical skills, they can take research information and translate it into an actionable strategy.
A data scientist must follow the guidelines as set by the state and federal government, their industry, and the company itself. There is a strong focus on data privacy, ensuring clients are satisfied and legal issues are avoided. Furthermore, they network closely with other professionals, both internally and through external organizations, in order to ensure the right data is available and that it is managed in the right way. They always have to keep their knowledge up to date in order to be able to deal with up to date technology, particularly in relation to computers and software applications.
Other job duties of data scientists are:
- To create, build, and design new sets of data for production, data mining, and modeling purposes
- To find new ways to create better search and data quality, as well as developing improved predictive capabilities
- To complete product experiments and data studies and interpret this data to further the organization
- To create custom analysis, predictive models, algorithms, proof of concepts, and prototypes
Where We Work
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, there were 27,900 computer and information research scientists in 2016, a profession closely related to that of the data scientist.
See also How to Score a Career in Big Data
The largest employers of these professionals were:
- Federal government, excluding postal service: 28%
- Computer systems design and related services: 20%
- Research and development in the physical, engineering, and life sciences: 17%
- Colleges, universities, and professional schools; state, local, and private: 8%
- Software publishers: 6%
How to Become
A data scientist has to be highly experienced. In order to gain advanced knowledge of the various techniques involved in data mining, such as support vector machines, decision trees, regression analysis, and clustering, they are generally expected to hold an advanced degree such as a Ph.D. in computer science.
A master’s degree or MBA is classed as the bare minimum for a data scientist, with exception of federal government, who will accept those with a bachelor’s degree depending on the position. More and more commonly, however, the Ph.D. is required in a field such as computer engineering or computer science. This is particularly important for those who work in specialized fields, such as biomedical applications.
Traits & Qualities
The most effective data scientists have the following traits to some degree or other:
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Critical thinking skills
- Being detail oriented
- Having ingenuity
- Strong logical thinking skills
- Mathematical skills
The national average salary estimate for Data Scientist was $130,297. This number is estimated from over 4,159,024 employees, users past and present job advertisements from Indeed.com. This equates to an hourly salary of $67.86 and monthly of $10,858.
- Most Reported
Salary by State
The following section lists Data Scientist salaries in each state around the country. The figures are based on the total number of job postings through Indeed.com. For example, California had the largest quoted salary of $141,886 while Alabama had the smallest quoted salary of $15,151.
Top 20 National Employers
According to Indeed.com, the following states had employers looking to hire a Data Scientist. The quoted salary figure represents the average salary from all job postings by this employer.
|Employer Name||Location||Average Salary|
|GMS Advisors Data Scientist||Maryland||$232,379|
|Rinalytics Advisors Data Scientist||New York||$220,501|
|Zachary Piper Solutions Data Scientist||Virginia||$220,059|
|Access Staffing LLC Data Scientist||New Jersey||$219,984|
|Relevante Inc Data Scientist||Wisconsin||$218,382|
|Venturi Group Data Scientist||New York||$203,811|
|Forrester Bradley International Data Scientist||Texas||$200,000|
|GQR Global Markets Data Scientist||New York||$198,809|
|Piper Companies Data Scientist||Virginia||$196,624|
|Huxley Associates Data Scientist||New York||$190,552|
|Fidelis Secure Care Data Scientist||Oklahoma||$187,624|
|NORTH STAR Data Scientist||New York||$186,724|
|Workbridge Associates Data Scientist||Wisconsin||$186,456|
|Venturi Ltd Data Scientist||New York||$185,515|
|Harnham Data Scientist||Illinois||$185,309|
|Intelletec Data Scientist||California||$183,756|
|Geode Executive Search Data Scientist||New York||$182,839|
|Netflix Data Scientist||California||$182,612|
|Selby Jennings Data Scientist||Massachusetts||$180,852|
- Data science – Wikipedia
- Salary Outlook with Masters in Data Science
- Data Analyst vs Data Scientist What’s the Difference?
- 5+ Things to Do with a Data Scientist & Analyst Degree
- Best Online Data Science Degree
- Top Online Cybersecurity Degree
- Salary Outlook with a Information Systems Degree
|Career Name||Average Salary|
|Chief Technology Officer||$147,424|
|Director of Engineering||$138,182|
|Director of Pharmacy||$136,890|
|Chief Marketing Officer||$136,769|
|Chief Financial Officer||$130,123|
|Chief Information Officer||$121,573|