The job outlook for computer and information technology management occupations continues to get brighter every year. The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) states that employment for computer and information technology professionals will increase by 13% through 2026. This is much faster than average when compared to other occupations.<!- mfunc feat_school ->
In all, it is anticipated that computer-related occupations, including enterprise architect, will add as many as 557,000 new jobs. Demand for these technical workers will be due to more emphasis upon cloud computing and the storage and collection of big data, as well as data security.
To make a decision on becoming an enterprise architect, it is smart to understand what your salary potential is in this field. This article details the most critical factors that affect salaries for enterprise architects:
- Whether you get a bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science or a related field
- Your exact job title
- How many years of work experience you have
- Where you live in the United States
- Certifications you have
After you have reviewed this important salary information, you will have a better idea of what your salary may be as an enterprise architect.
Level of Computer Science Degree
Most enterprise architects will earn a degree in computer science or a related area. A great amount of educational research indicates that you can earn more in your enterprise architect career if you have a master’s degree. Generally, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports a salary increase of $12,000 for people who have a master’s degree as well as a bachelor’s degree. A salary increase is definitely likely with a master’s degree in a technical profession. For instance, the following technical professionals earn a higher salary with a master’s degree:
Further, Payscale.com states the following salaries for bachelor’s in computer science:
- Senior software engineer: $100,500
- Software developer: $64,900
- Software engineer: $79,000
- Senior software engineer: $97,400
- Web developer: $58,700
- IT manager: $90,300
- Application developer: $59,100
For a master’s degree in computer science, we see the following salaries:
- Software engineer: $92,000
- Software architect: $130,300
- Senior software engineer: $107,700
- Software developer: $79,200
- Software development engineer: $108,800
Your job title will affect your salary in this technical profession. As an enterprise architect, you will be well compensated because you will be in charge of the IT networks and services that are used in your organization. Major tasks that enterprise architects handle include maintaining IT services and projects; keeping the company up to date with new technology; and giving feedback to executives on current IT networks and possible improvements.
Enterprise architects also earn a good salary because they must interact effectively with development teams and external customers, as well as senior IT managers to keep all IT assets running according to schedule.
Payscale.com states the median salary for all enterprise architects is $128,100, with a salary range of $90,600 to $163,900.
Some of the current salaries for enterprise architects at various companies:
- Booz, Allen and Hamilton: $92,400
- IBM: $154,400
- Capgemini: $127,800
- HP Enterprise: $124,100
- PNC Financial Services Group: $123,900
- Microsoft: $150,100
- HP Company: $143,000
There are other related job titles reported by BLS that could result in a higher or lower salary:
- Network and computer systems administrator: $81,800 per year
- Computer and information systems manager: $139,200
- Computer network architect: $104,600
- Computer programmer: $82,200
- Computer systems analyst: $88,200
- Database administrator: $87,000
- Information security analyst: $95,500
- Web developer: $67,900
Indeed.com reports if you rise to the level of principal enterprise architect, you can eventually earn a bas pay of an impressive salary of $180,600. Indeed.com also reports these salaries for this role at various tech companies:
- SAP: $143,300
- T-Mobile: $134,700
- ADP: $121,000 to $177,000
- CSC: $202,000 to $223,000
- Mutual of Omaha: $114,000
- UTi Worldwide: $126,000
Enterprise Architect Work Experience
Your work experience level as an enterprise architect will be a major factor in your ultimate salary. Payscale.com data shows a very solid increase in salary over the years. An enterprise architect with fewer than five years of experience earns $100,000 per year. An enterprise architect with five to 10 years of work experience earns an average salary of $124,000, and this professional with 10 to 20 years of experience can earn up to $139,000 per year. With more than 20 years of experience in this profession, you can earn up to $150,000 per year.
Where you work in the United States also has a major effect on your enterprise architect salary. Payscale.com reports the national average salary for this job is $138,500. Salaries vary widely based upon where you live:
- Philadelphia: +27%
- Seattle: +18%
- San Francisco: +17%
- Atlanta: +16%
- New York: +13%
- Washington state: +12%
- Dallas: 0%
- Minneapolis: -3%
- Tampa: -4%
- Austin: -4%
Certifications You Have
You can increase your salary substantially if you have one or more certifications that are geared by enterprise architects. Below are some of the most profitable and desirable:
- AWS Certified Solution Architect: Amazon Web Services offers certifications for architects, developers, operations, cloud and specialty certifications. The foundation level certificate will validate your understanding of the AWS Cloud and is a prerequisite for further AWS specialty certifications.
- Certified Technical Architect (CTA): This is the top Salesforce credential that you can earn. As a CTA, you will be an expert in every Salesforce domain, and have the skills that you need to design, build and implement all Salesforce platform solutions. You must get your Certified Application Architect and Certified System Architect credentials.
- ITIL Master Certificate: The ITL for IT Service Management credential from Axelos will help you to earn a higher salary for sure. Axelos is the top provider of standards that drive best practices and quality throughout technical organizations. This is the top ITL certification. It requires you to have a high level of experience, dedication and complete understanding of ITIL principles.
As an enterprise architect, you have the potential of earning well over a six figure salary, if you have a bachelor’s or master’s in the field, as well as sufficient work experience. It is expected the demand for these highly skilled technology workers will only expand as technology improves in the next decade. Many experts recommend earning your bachelor’s, get at least three years of work experience, and then earn your master’s in computer science with (hopefully) your employer picking up the tab.
- Enterprise Architect Salary. (2016). Retrieved from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Enterprise_Architect%2C_IT/Salary
- Computer and Information Systems Managers. (2017). Retrieved from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/computer-and-information-systems-managers.htm
- Computer and Information Technology. (2017). Retrieved from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/home.htm
- Best Enterprise Architect Certifications. (2017). Retrieved from https://www.businessnewsdaily.com/10758-best-enterprise-architect-certifications.html