St. John’s University is a private college that was established in 1870. It’s total undergraduate population is 16,210, and it is based in New York City. As of 2017, it was ranked as the the 164th best national university according to US News and World Report. The online MBA program is highly ranked and features unusual concentrations in risk management/insurance, and taxation.
Online MBA is accredited by the AACSB
One of the most important features of any MBA program is accreditation. If the program is accredited by a highly reputable body, then your potential employers are assured that the education that you have obtained is of high value.
One of the most important program accreditations in business and accounting education is that of AACSB International. AACSB accreditation is the highest level of achievement for business schools around the world. Less than 5% of all 16,000 business schools around the world have achieved this accreditation status.
Research has shown that AACSB-accredited programs have graduates who have a high level of business management skill, and they are generally more desirable as employees than those who graduate from schools not accredited by the AACSB.
It also has been shown in research that schools that are accredited by the AACSB have high quality faculty, deliver the best and most up to date curriculum, and also provide excellent career and education opportunities that are not usually found at non-accredited business schools.
The business programs including the online MBA program at St. John’s University are accredited by the AACSB. Thus, you can have confidence that your degree will be regarded as one of the highest level of quality. Graduating from an online MBA program that is AACSB-accredited will provide you with an advantage over the competition.
Online MBA can be completed in only 18 months
Busy working professionals with families often are challenged by the rigors of MBA school. Going to school for an MBA while working full time and taking care of personal obligations can be difficult. But the online MBA at St. John’s University is flexible and can be completed in as little as 18 months full time.
You also can take the program more slowly if you like, and complete the degree in three years.
Highly unusual MBA concentrations available
Most MBA programs today offer a variety of concentrations that are fairly similar from school to school: finance, accounting, marketing, international business, leadership, entrepreneurship, healthcare management, information technology, etc.
St. John’s University has unusual MBA specialties that are offered at few other online universities. You can choose to complete a general business management MBA, or you can choose one of the following:
- Risk management and insurance: You will learn how risk can be traded in the reinsurance market around the globe. You also will study theories that are related to health and life insurance. Last, you will examine all of the aspects of property liability insurance. This is a great speciality for those who want to work in finance and insurance.
- Taxation: Obtain the technical and theoretical tax knowledge you need to interpret highly complex tax laws and regulations. Then you can translate them easily into practice in your specific industry. A good choice for those interested in tax-related positions in upper business management.
Faculty training and credentials highly ranked
US News and World Report states that St. John’s faculty credentials and training rank #4 in their survey of graduate business programs. Their faculty credentials and training score for teaching online programs is 95 out of 100. These numbers indicate that the faculty at St. John’s University in the graduate business programs online are high quality and well trained.
Least Favorite Features
Expensive online tuition for undergraduate programs
The cost for undergraduate tuition at St. John’s University is high at $1,323 per credit hour for online programs. This is actually more expensive than some of the graduate school online tuition.
Average peer assessment score in US News and World Report
US News and World Report has a peer assessment score for the universities that it surveys and ranks. This score is a number from 1-5 that shows what other educational institutions think of the business programs at St. John’s University.
The peer assessment score for St. John’s is only 2.6, which is average.
GMAT scores are required for admission
St. John’s University still requires that students take the GMAT examination and submit their scores to be considered for admission into graduate business programs. This exam costs a few hundred dollars to take, and also requires several months of preparation for most students.
It is believed by some experts that doing well on the GMAT does not necessarily mean that you will do well in graduate school. Still, St. John’s requires that all students take the exam and submit their scores.
High acceptance rate for graduate business programs
US News and World Report states that its graduate business programs admit 80% of applicants. This means that most students are admitted. This is often seen as a sign that the programs are not as high quality as more selective business programs.
- Founded in 1870
- Application deadline: Rolling
- Application fee: $50
- School type: Private
- Term Schedule: Semester
- Location: New York City
- Student-faculty ratio: 12:1
- Graduate: Online MBA – $1,215 per credit hour
- Undergraduate: Online: $1,323 per credit hour
- Graduate: MBA, Master of Accounting, Management for Information Professionals, Master of Science in Taxation,
- Undergraduate: Bachelor of Science in Business Administration
Concentrations – MBA
- Risk management
- 65% of applicants are accepted, making it a less selective school
- 4 year graduation rate of 41%
- 57% female, 43% male
- Total enrollment is 16,210
Graduation and Retention Rates
- 79% of freshmen return for their next year, above the national average of 71%.
- 41% of students graduate within 150% of their expected time
US News Rankings
- National universities: 164
- High school counselor ranking: 98
- Business programs: 150
- Best online graduate business programs (not MBA): 32