Earning a web developer degree can be an excellent way to build your career in a world where Internet technology is so important. With this popular degree, you will be very well qualified for many types of Web and Internet-related occupations.<!- mfunc feat_school ->
Before deciding whether earning this degree is for you, it is important to understand what your potential salary could be. The following factors should be examined:
- Whether you obtain a bachelor’s or master’s degree in web development
- The type of Internet or Web career you select
- How many years of work experience you have
- Geographic location
Once you have reviewed this information, you will have a better concept of the salary you can have with a Web development degree.
Level of Web Developer Degree
There is much research that shows how earning a master’s degree can give you a higher salary throughout your career. One of the sources of extensive research in this area is the Bureau of Labor Statistics. BLS notes that professionals with a bachelor’s degree earn a salary on average of $56,000, while those with a master’s degree earn a salary of $68,000. This is a difference of $12,000.
But the difference between a bachelor’s or master’s degree in Web development and related fields could be more. BLS notes the differing salaries for these Internet technology-related occupations:
- Web developers: $61,000 salary with bachelor’s, $75,000 with master’s, for a $14,000 salary premium.
- Information security analysts: $85,000 salary with a bachelor’s, $100,000 with a master’s, for a $15,000 premium
- Network and computer systems administrators: $70,000 salary with a bachelor’s, $88,000 with a master’s, for a $18,000 premium
Payscale.com also notes the following salaries for a bachelor’s degree in Web development:
- Web developer: $57,600
- Senior web developer: $64,200
- Systems administrator: $78,000
- .Net software developer: $97,400
- Front end developer: $53,900
Payscale.com also notes the following salaries for professionals with a master’s degree in computer science, which is related to Web development:
- Software engineer: $90,900
- Senior software engineer: $108,900
- Software developer: $78,500
You can expect to earn more money over time with a master’s degree in Web development.
Type of Web Development Career
The salary level you will enjoy in your career will depend upon the occupation you choose. Below are some of the most common types of jobs you can have with this degree:
Web developers work a great deal with web designers, who are largely concerned with the look and feel of the site. Web developers are more focused on the technical aspects of the site. In addition to strong technical skills, web developers need to have strong oral and written communication skills and be able to give strong presentations to upper level management and clients.
Payscale.com reports the median salary for a Web developer is $58,200, with a salary range between $38,000 and $85,000. BLS also reports the median salary for Web developers is $67,900 with the top 10% earning more than $122,000 per year. Wages for web developers in different industries were:
- Publishing: $71,000
- Computer system design and related services: $68,500
- Advertising, public relations and related services: $66,200
- Management, scientific and technical consulting services: $65,600
Computer and Information Systems Manager
Computer and information systems managers are often referred to as IT managers or IT project managers. They are responsible for planning, coordinating and directing all computer related activities in a company or organization. They are also responsible for determining what the IT goals are for a company and must implement the computer systems to meet these goals.
Some of the most common types of computer and information systems managers are:
- Chief information officer or CIO: Responsible for determining the technology and information goals of a company and then overseeing how the technology is implemented. A CIO may be focused on a certain area such as information systems or electronic data processing. CIOs are focused largely on long term and big picture issues.
- Chief technology officer or CTO: Evaluates new technology to determine how it can help the company. Tends to be more of a technical focused professional
- IT director: In charge of the IT department, its equipment and the supervision of employees
The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports the median salary for this field was $139,200 in 2017 with the top 10% earning more than $200,000 per year. Salaries by industry were as follows:
- Information: $153,100
- Computer systems design and related services: $146,400
- Finance and insurance: $146,400
- Manufacturing: $141,300
- Manufacturing of companies and enterprises: $140,900
A software developer is the creative person behind a computer program or application. Some are responsible for developing the applications that let people do certain tasks on a computer or device. Others are responsible for developing the operating system that runs the device or network.
Software developers are the ones in charge of the whole development process for the software program. They typically start the process by determining how the customer wants to use the software, and they core functionality must be identified that the users need from the program. These workers also must determine what user requirements are that are not related to how the software functions, including the level of security and performance requirements.
If the program does not work as it is supposed to or testers are finding it too challenging to use, software developers will need to go back to the design process to remedy the problem or improve it. After the software is given to the customer, the software developer may need to do upgrades and maintenance.
Software developers who are responsible for supervising a software project from the early planning stages through implementation may be referred to as information technology project managers. Software developers usually are referred to as either applications software developers or systems software developers.
The median salary for software developers in 2017 was $101,700, with the top 10% earning more than $160,100. Salaries were as follows in these industries:
- Software publisher: $112,200
- Manufacturing: $109,000
- Finance and insurance: $105,100
- Management of companies and enterprises: $100,400
- Computer systems design and related services: $98,400
Web Developer Work Experience
The number of years that you are employed as a web developer will also affect your salary level. According to Payscale.com, we see the following salary levels for web developers based upon level of work experience:
- Developers with less than five years of experience earn a salary of $51,000
- Developers with five to 10 years of experience earn a salary of $64,000
- Developers with 10 to 20 years of experience earn a salary of $71,000
- Developers with 10 to 20 years of experience earn a salary of $81,000
Web Developer Geographic Location
Where you work in the US also will influence your salary with a web developer degree. The average salary across the US is $56,000 and salary can vary based upon these locations:
- San Francisco: +44%
- Seattle: +24%
- Washington: +21%
- New York: +20%
- Boston: +16%
- Chicago: +14%
- Los Angeles: +12%
- Austin: +9%
- Atlanta: +7%
Earning your web developer degree should be an excellent way to ensure a future with a good salary and plenty of exciting job opportunities.
- Software Developer. (2017). Retrieved from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/software-developers.htm#tab-5
- Should I Get a Master’s Degree? (2015). Retrieved from https://www.bls.gov/careeroutlook/2015/article/should-i-get-a-masters-degree.htm