Obtaining your master’s degree, particularly your MBA, can be a wise career move in terms of salary and position. The Bureau of Labor Statistics states you can enjoy an average of $12,000 more in annual salary with a master’s over a bachelor’s degree.
But what to do if you want to get your online MBA and you do not have a high GPA? There are plenty of online MBA programs out there to choose from these days, and not all of them require a high GPA. Below are 10 good online MBA options to consider.
Before we get into that list, though, consider these tips from US News and World Report to offset a low GPA:
- Explain any extenuating circumstances that led to a lower GPA in your undergraduate work
- Show a good GMAT or GRE score
- Have excellent work experience with a high level of responsibility and accomplishment
Featured Online MBA Program
Additional Online MBA Options
#1 Capella University Online
Capella Online offers an online MBA with a minimum 2.3 GPA requirement to be considered for admission.
See for yourself how our groundbreaking, self-paced learning format gives you the power to earn your degree, and live your life. Available for select master’s, bachelor’s, and certificate programs.
This master’s degree program can be completed in two to 2.5 years, and features the following attributes:
- Credit for real world experience: Some students can gain credit for experience they have had earning their CPA, PMP, SCP and other designations
- Exclusive MBA information: Capella offers an exclusive MBA Central function that provides you with valuable news and resources, networking events, and regular interaction with faculty, peers and experts
- Leadership coaching; Each student receives leadership assessment and coaching from industry experts
- There are a number of MBA concentrations available in self designed, healthcare management, HR management and project management
Required courses are in such subjects as leadership, business strategy, applied business analytics, accounting methods for leaders, and marketing management.
#2 Marshall University
Marshall University offers an online MBA that requires a 2.5 GPA to be considered for admission. This accredited program stresses the application of business theory in a real world environment, with graduates learning how to meet current needs and constantly changing demands of the international marketplace.
This online MBA will help to polish your critical thinking, management, communication and problem solving skills. Professors for the online MBA program are experts in accounting, finance, management, marketing, economics law, communications and organizational behavior.
Concentrations available include;
- Healthcare administration
- HR management
Required courses include economic analysis, financial accounting, principles of business finance, marketing and management, and analytical methods and techniques.
Students who have less than a 3.0 GPA in undergraduate work should include letters of recommendation, resume, statement of purpose and other supporting materials to make their case to the admissions staff.
#3 University of Louisiana Lafayette
The University of Louisiana Lafayette features an online MBA with a concentration in project management that requires a 2.5 GPA to be considered for admission. This program will prepare you to act in a decisive and strategic manner in real world scenarios. You will develop a very valuable set of skills that will be appealing to any business that wants to be more profitable and efficient. The program is 100% online and allows students to complete it in only 15 months.
Required courses are in:
- Foundations of Accounting
- Foundations of Economics
- Foundations of Finance
- Foundations of Quantitative Methods
- Management of Information Technology
- Managerial Economics
- Data Analysis
- Marketing Management
#4 Texas A&M University Corpus Christi
The online MBA program at Texas A&M University Corpus Christi requires at least a 2.5 GPA to be considered for admission. Students in this accredited program will develop the analytical, technology and communications skills they need to advance into upper level management positions. Students in this two year, online program develop these abilities;
- Provide dynamic leadership to teams that are working in collaborative, problem solving environments
- Solve business problems with analysis-based decision making
- Analyze and synthesize business functions in complex organizations and the global marketplace
- Resolve complex governance and ethical issues in a socially acceptable way
Required courses are in accounting, economics, financial management, statistical and decision analysis, managerial economics and accounting topics.
#5 University of Northwestern Ohio
This online master’s in business administration requires a 2.5 GPA to be considered for conditional admission, and may be completed online 100%, with four start opportunities each year. No GMAT is required to be considered for admission.
All students will participate in asynchronous courses, so you do not have to attend class at a specific time. You can complete your assignments and lectures at a time that is convenient for you.
Required courses are in the following subjects:
- Legal and Ethical Environment of Business
- Accounting for Managers
- Organizational Behavior for Managers
- Global Business Issues and Strategies
- Finance for Managers
- Graduate Marketing Management
- HR Management
#6 University of Tennessee Chattanooga
The University of Tennessee Chattanooga offers an online MBA that requires a 2.70 GPA to be considered for admission. It offers students a solid business education where you will develop well rounded theoretical knowledge, practical business management understanding and application and extremely valuable experiential knowledge.
Students take a total of seven core classes and a single capstone course, with options available in business analytics and healthcare administration.
Core classes include the following:
- Economics for Managers
- Organizational Behavior and Leadership
- Information Technology for Business
- Financial Management
- Quantitative Decision Analysis for Business
- Accounting for Managers
#7 Champlain College Online
Champlain College Online offers an MBA that is 100% online and requires only 2.5 GPA to be considered for admission, and even better, their online graduate programs have a no GRE requirement and for the Online MBA programs, no GMAT requirement either.
The curriculum consists of 24 to 30 credit hours of core courses with the chance to select a concentration in accounting, advanced management, conflict management, employment law, healthcare administration, HR management, information security or positive organization development.
Required courses include the following:
- Survey of Accounting for Managers
- Managing Risk in Organizations
- Self as a Values Driven Leader
- Impact of Globalization on Business
- Financial Decision Making for Management
- Information for Decision Making, Business Analysis and Performance Management
The program can be completed in only 12 months for some students, and there are six start times per year for maximum flexibility.
#8 University of Southern Indiana
This online MBA in engineering management is 100% online and requires a GPA of 2.5 to be considered for admission. This two year MBA program will prepare you for a dynamic, leadership career in manufacturing, technology, construction, research and development.
Students gain the skills they need to work in upper management positions in supply chain distribution, project management and quality control. This interactive, online MBA will prepare you in the functional fields of business management, all of which are taught by faculty with a laser focus on collaborative problem solving and new ideas.
Your required courses include the following:
- Principles and Practices of Project Management
- Principles and Practices of Quality Management
- Principles and Practices of Supply Chain Management
- Managerial Economics
- Marketing Strategies
- Information Systems and Technology
- Accounting for Decision Making and Control
#9 Lynn University
Lynn University offers an online MBA program with a 2.5 minimum GPA to be considered for admission. The program offers eight convenient start times each year, so you will be able to work this 100% online degree program into your busy schedule.
The online MBA at Lynn is a well respected program that is rated in the top 10 by South Florida Business Journal, and also is nationally ranked by US News and World Report. Available specializations include:
- Aviation management
- Entrepreneurial management
- Financial valuation and investment management
- Hospitality management
- HR management
- International business
- Media management
- Sports management
#10 Grantham University
Grantham University’s online MBA requires a minimum 2.5 GPA to be considered for admission. This MBA program will provide you with practical knowledge of business management and related skills that will accelerate your career. Students can choose either a general MBA or a specialization in information management or project management.
This program stresses financial and managerial accounting, finance, HR management, information management, micro and macroeconomics, organizational behavior and quantitative analysis.
Each of these online MBAs have flexible admission requirements in terms of required GPA. It is important to remember to attempt to bolster your application in other ways to make up for a lower GPA: higher GRE or GMAT scores, excellent work experience, and great recommendations.
Learn More on Business Student.com
- Online Masters Without GRE Requirement
- What Things Can I Do with a MBA Degree?
- 8 Best Entry Level Business Degree & Analyst Jobs
- Best MBA Careers & Jobs After Graduate Ever
- Should I Get a Master’s Degree? (2015). Retrieved from https://www.bls.gov/careeroutlook/2015/article/should-i-get-a-masters-degree.htm
- 3 Ways to Offset a Low GPA When Applying to Business School (2016). Retrieved from https://www.usnews.com/education/articles/2016-07-01/3-ways-to-offset-a-low-gpa-when-applying-to-business-school