The following article discusses the career path of Senior Business Advisor. Learn about how to become one, education requirements, job duties, traits and qualities, national salary outlook as well as top national employers of Senior Business Advisors.<!- mfunc feat_school ->
Senior business advisors have strong problem solving skills and they are ultimately responsible for the success of their organization. They are consultants, sometimes with specific specializations. Generally, they are asked to come into a startup organization to help the company develop and run efficiently. In other cases, they are consulted by departments that are struggling with efficiency, offering advice on new policies, strategies, software packages, and more.
- Coordinate with partners to ensure overall business solution is positioned and implemented on a global scale
- Build rapport with external vendors in order to support business objectives
- Develop and update high-level roadmap of business initiatives and goals
- Modify programs to enhance likelihood of meeting business goals
- Balance customer requests and requirements with technical constraints
Other duties of a senior business advisor are:
- To work together with internal and external partners so that the business is able to properly position itself within its target market
- To build relationships with external partners in support of various business objectives
- To create a roadmap to success, showing which initiatives a business should set to reach its goals
Where We Work
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, there were 806,400 management analysts in 2016, which includes senior business advisors. The largest employers of these professionals are:
- Professional, scientific, and technical services: 30%
- Self-employed workers: 17%
- Government: 17%
- Finance and insurance: 11%
- Management of companies and enterprises: 5%
How to Become
Senior business advisors must have excellent communication and leadership skills. They must have ingenuity, logical reasoning, and capability to be a team player. It is generally expected that they have a bachelor’s degree, although a master’s degree is quickly becoming preferred, particularly the Master of Business Administration (MBA). A senior business advisor must have completed courses in areas such as communication, marketing, accounting, and business law.
Generally, they will start at entry level positions, gradually growing into a position of seniority. Some work as auditors, accountants, market research analysts, or computer systems analysts, for instance. Eventually, they then grow through internal and external promotions into the position of senior business advisor.
While the majority of senior business advisors have a bachelor’s degree at least, it is now increasingly common for a master’s to be required, particularly the master of business administration (MBA). Some also have additional certifications, such as Certified Management Consultant (CMC). Of importance is that a degree includes courses in subjects such as computer and information science, psychology, marketing, finance, accounting, economics, management, and business.
The CMC certification can be obtained through the Institute of Management Consultants USA (IMC USA). To obtain this, candidates must have sufficient education and experience, present reviews from clients, and pass a written examination and an interview. The examination focuses on the code of ethics as set by the IMC USA. Re-certification is required every three years.
Traits & Qualities
The most effective senior business advisors have the following traits to some degree or other:
– Excellent communication skills
– Strong decision making skills
– Leadership skills, including being able to motivate others
– Management skills
– Excellent problem solver
– Strong time management skills
Bachelor’s, but master’s is becoming preferred Degree
The national average salary estimate for Senior Business Advisor was $82,555. This number is estimated from over 358,936 employees, users past and present job advertisements from Indeed.com. This equates to an hourly salary of $43.00 and monthly of $6,880.
- Most Reported
Salary by State
The following section lists Senior Business Advisor salaries in each state around the country. The figures are based on the total number of job postings through Indeed.com. For example, US had the largest quoted salary of $82,555 while US had the smallest quoted salary of $82,555.
Top 20 National Employers
According to Indeed.com, the following states had employers looking to hire a Senior Business Advisor. The quoted salary figure represents the average salary from all job postings by this employer.
|Employer Name||Location||Average Salary|
- DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR – GPO
- Community | The U.S. Small Business Administration | SBA.gov
- LAKE COUNTY SENIOR SERVICES
|Career Name||Average Salary|
|Information Security Analyst||$83,417|
|Business Systems Analyst||$82,655|
|Certified Public Accountant||$82,242|